Off to a slow start

May 18, 2012 at 9:50 am 1 comment

After a 3+ hour delay, our flight was eventually cancelled around midnight last night. Apparently the 747 was having mechanical trouble with the front flaps…. Sounds like a pretty important piece of the plane, so even though we would rather be in Germany right now, better safe than sorry. They tried to get this part from all over north America but with no luck. Now we are being told they have to wait for the next British airways 747 coming in from London, and we may not leave until around 10pm tonight. Not the way we was hoping to start the trip, but what can you do?

After they cancelled the flight they had us go through customs at the Vancouver airport. That was a bit strange. Questions like “where did you come from” received appropriate responses like “I didn’t come from anywhere, we never left.” some customs agents were in a more humorous mood than others. After that we were allowed to wait in another line and claim our bags. Very strange claiming a bag with the Dusseldorf sticker on it when we never traveled more than a few hundred yards by foot. After that came the real highlight. Waiting in another line to speak with British Airways staff about transportation and hotels. This is where the really upset passengers came to life, fortunately our GSE team took it in stride. Felt a little bad for the BA staff. Nothing they could do about it. By then it is about 1am or so and we go stand in another line, this time outside (it was sup rising chilly in the wee hours of the morning), to hop on the shuttle to the Vancouver Sheraton. After another line to check into the hotel (hotels get quite busy when 200+ guests show up unexpectedly) we finally got to our rooms about 2am. Long long day, but I have to say the bed and pillow were very comfortable.

Now we are trying to figure out what flight we might be able to catch sometime today. In all, we lost a day in Germany, but at least they didn’t stick us on a faulty aircraft.

All for now.

– Cory Ertel


Entry filed under: Team Blog.

airport delay Going through Customs after our flight was cancelled

1 Comment Add your own

  • 1. billrobson1  |  May 18, 2012 at 9:53 am

    You are absolutely correct Cory-Better SAFE than SORRY.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

%d bloggers like this: